Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thing #16 Wikis

I created a wiki last year for my library and library newsletter: The General Dispatch
I intend to continue it this year, but expand it. Our school district does allow wikis, so it can take the place of blogging with students. Our library program director set one up for librarians and we use it to communicate. I think it has been very successful and give us a quick way to see what we are all doing as a group. It is truly more efficient than email for group projects. I found wikispaces to be the most user friendly. PBworks was not as easy to use at first, but now I think that has changed. Wikis can be used to create assignments for students on the computer. Also, they can be used for assignments from home, book clubs, or any activity that requires posting and collaboration. PBWorks is a good site for this type of assignment. One great thing that I realized is that Library2Play is a wonderful resource blog!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dorothy,
    I thing our wiki is great too. At first I thought - "just another thing to check everyday"- but I could soon see the benefits. I doubt we'll be using email much this year. I tried to start a wiki newsletter last year, but I ran out of time. Hopefully I can hendle it better this year.

    ReplyDelete